Oct 30

Question by NewIntheCity: What to do with the capital gain from the excess roth IRA contribtution?
I overcontributed $ 1200 to my roth IRA for 2006. This contribution has made some capital gain. I understand that I need to file a IRA distribution to take out the excess contribution to avoid IRA penalty. However, what should I do with the gain from the excess contribution?


Best answer:

Answer by jerry
Earnings on the excess will be considered as received in the year the contribution was made, and are taxable for that year, plus the 10% penalty (assuming you are under 59 1/2).

You can possibly avoid the excise tax if you more the excess Roth contribution and the earnings on the excess either by transferring to a regular IRA (trustee-to- trustee) before the deadline for the year in which the contribution is made.

I would probably suggest contacting your IRA broker to see if they can help you out and offer any alternatives.

Give your answer to this question below!

Roth ira, roth ira rules,what is roth,retirement plan roth ira 2010,roth ira qualification,what does a roth ira do,ira for minors,simple roth ira calculator

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Page Ranking Tool