Dec 8

I am planning to work in my current position for two years and then go to school for a full time MBA graduate degree. Can I contribute to my company’s 401k plan now and then withdraw the amount after 2 years to fund my college expenses without being subjected to the additional 10% penalty ? For this to happen, do I have to roll over the 401k savings to an IRA first, and then make the withdrawal for college expenses ? Are there any expenses involved in this process ?

one comment so far...

  • Steve D Said on December 8th, 2009 at 8:16 pm:

    The easiest thing to do would be to roll over the 401(k) into an IRA. Not all 401(k)’s offer hardship withdrawals (all IRAs do) and you may still be subject to the 10% penalty under the 401(k) (but not under the IRA).

    Also, check your company’s vesting schedule. If you are not vested within two years, there is no advantage to contributing to the 401(k) as your withdrawal will be taxed at ordinary income levels (though going full time may lower your tax bracket, saving you a little money) and you will not receive the employer match.

leave a reply

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Page Ranking Tool