Dec 23

I contributed $5,000 to my roth IRA in 2008. How do I declare this when filing taxes? My company has not provided any 1099 or other document, are they supposed to? I plan to file my taxes using Turbo Tax, how/where should I declare the contribution?
Awesome, thanks for the answers. I knew it wasn’t tax deductible, I just thought I had to declare the contribution as income. Thanks all for the clarification.

5 comments so far...

  • chatsplas Said on December 23rd, 2009 at 8:21 pm:

    It’s Post-tax dollars.
    Why aren’t you contributing to a 401k or traditional IRA? Then you get tax advantages. Can make contribution to IRA up to tad date.

  • Charles G Said on December 23rd, 2009 at 9:09 pm:

    The Roth IRA does not give you a tax deduction for the year you contribute. It is made with “after tax” dollars. That’s the bad news.

    The good news is it isn’t taxed (hopefully still won’t when you retire) when you take the money out.

    Either way, you don’t put it anywhere on the Form 1040.

  • bostonianinmo Said on December 23rd, 2009 at 9:32 pm:

    Roth contributions are not tax deductible so you don’t report them anywhere. Your benefit is on the back end when you retire and the distributions are totally TAX FREE at that time. In most cases you will do far better in the long run with the tax free accumulation and distributions of a Roth account unless you are retiring in a very few years and know for a fact that your income will be in a lower tax bracket at retirement.

  • stephenweinstein Said on December 23rd, 2009 at 10:06 pm:

    NOWHERE. You do not declare Roth IRA contributions anywhere when filing taxes.

  • Judy Said on December 23rd, 2009 at 10:32 pm:

    The income is already in your W-2 when you earned it, so you are already paying the tax on it.

leave a reply

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Page Ranking Tool